Friday, April 8, 2011

What happened to the movies?

I rarely go to the movies these days, preferring the comfort of my couch but last weekend a friend convinced me to go see the latest reincarnation of Nicholas Cage. Too call the movie bad would be too kind but that’s a posting for a movie critic. I wanted to talk about some of the goings on in the dark.

Lets start with the most egregious - mobile phones in the theatre. You know even when you crouch and whisper, that call is still annoying. Other people did the right thing and didn't take any calls, but then were busy texting away (no excuse even during an awful Nick Cage movie) and the place was like a rock concert in the dark what with the bright phone screens flashing all over the place. If the movie sucks, feel free to let your feet do the walking - politely excuse yourself and leave with a minimum of fuss and save the loud grumbling for when you get to your car.

There were some scenes that even I had to put my hand over my eyes for all the gore and might I add particularly loudly acted adult scenes. Yet a couple happily had their five year old in tow sitting between them. I guarantee this kid is traumatized for life, as someone once wrote - if you can't find anyone to stay with your kid at home don’t bring them to what is clearly an adult movie - it’s that simple.

To the people running up and down the aisle every five minutes to go to the bathroom or take that all important phone call this is irritating and distracting. Constantly talking about what the main character should do next with your friend coupled with over exuberant laughter all serve to ruin other patrons movie going experience. And if you sir, continue to kick my seat from behind I’ll be forced to…

Ok, rant over - what other lack of manners in the movie theatre have you experienced?

No comments:

Post a Comment