Thursday, August 23, 2012

Why you should never say "All protocols observed"


1. It is clearly a lie.
In essence you have NOT observed all protocols. It is just a claim that the necessarily rules of decorum have been observed but we all know protocol was overlooked altogether. Consider this, if you had been asked to pass a vote of thanks, would you thank one or two people and then state “All thanks given?”

2. There are other ways to observe protocol without having to mention each and every dignitary present.
One way is clustering: You can use a general phrase to address all that fall within a certain category – honourable delegates, distinguished ladies and gentlemen, your excellencies, my Lords etc. That way due diligence is paid.

3. It is a home-grown expression, unrecognised by the rest of the world.
Other than Kenyans, Nigerians, Ugandans and some South Africans who have become accustomed to hearing this, the expression remains totally alien to the rest of the world. Your audience will be at a loss as to what you mean; and as to why you have opted for that ‘short-cut.’

4. It is not necessary to use that expression when protocol has indeed been observed.
At times the speaker does indeed take his or her time to mention the dignitaries in the audience in order of precedence but spoils it by concluding the list with “all protocols observed.” If protocol has indeed been observed then that will be apparent to the audience and therefore redundant to include that out-of-place phrase.

 
Guest post from
Caroline Nderitu
CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL TRAINER/POET/MC
www.publicspeaking.co.ke

28 comments:

  1. Point of correction, the entire world use this expression. Only used a little more by the said countries. Trust that, I've been around.
    Good post though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first heard that phrase from a member of the British House of Lords

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard that phrase from a member of the British House of Lords

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is often used in Barbados and the Caribbean

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always heard the phrase but not knowing what it means. All thanks to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was actually going to do that at church today, just to sound knowledgeable. But I was goint to greet the organisations and leaders but still say "all protocol observed". Now I know that'll repeatition, thanks to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that,point well taken, u really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once heard a speaker proudly
    reefer to other unmentioned guests as other protocols...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. African business blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you this has really helped me

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've attended events at various universities in Australia, US and Zimbabwe. I only heard this in Zimbabwe. Being from Mozambique myself, I wasn't sure what it meant. I googled it and there seems to be a consensus that we should never use it,at least not everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I've attended faculty events at universities in Australia US and Zimbabwe. I've only heard it in Zim.since I'm from a Portuguese speaking country and wasn't sure what it meant, I googled it...the consensus it do not use it, at least not outside those four countries

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that we have been misusing the words

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very selfish reasons to stop those who accept the phrase as appropriate. You don't have to hear me list titles to know I observe the protocol. On this case, the phrase is used to signal that the speaker appreciates the existence of protocol and even though they are not listed, he/she respects their presence in order of precedence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Jonny Cronin

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's taken me a number of times reading the usage of this phrase, ultimately am now conscientious

    ReplyDelete
  17. This phrase is important to avoid listing all titles

    ReplyDelete