Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Business of the Card

This morning I attended a networking breakfast where they were over 100 people. As you can imagine there was great buzz in the room as people did the rounds striking up conversation, trying to get business or referrals etc. Some people did the unthinkable and showed up without business cards. That is like going lion hunting without a gun – just how are you going to succeed? I stash my business cards everywhere – in my car, wallet, folder, etc. I never want to be caught without one. Ideally though, you want to present them in a nice business card case. At the function this morning I collected more business cards in one hour than I have in the last 3 months. Some people, I was able to have a conversation with, strike up some sort of relationship which ended in an exchange of business cards. Others literally walked round the room handing out business cards left, right and centre without so much as a hello. You are not in business to keep your printer in business (with apologies to the people in the printing business reading this). A business card should be used to cement a relationship – it should be used to give people the information that they want to get back to you to continue a conversation you have started with them. Networking functions are not meant for you to shower the room with your business card thinking the law of averages will work and you’ll get at least some business if as many people as possible get your business card. Also never try to seal the deal right then and there, continue to connect with the person instead. I am now jotting down information on the back of all the cards I received – where I met the person and the date. For those I developed a relationship with, I add additional info like what we talked about and when to get in touch with them again if need be. Unfortunately a lot of the cards I received will not be looked at again because people buy from people not business cards. A final tip – resist spamming the email addresses from every card you received with your products or services, it is considered poor business etiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment