Saturday, August 28, 2010

Taking the super out of supermarket

It’s so convenient for me to shop these days - I literally step out my front door into the grocery aisle at my local supermarket. Brill I tell you - that is until I have to deal with the customer service skills of the staff working there. And let me illustrate my point by giving you a positive shopping experience I had at another shop.

I walked into a smaller shop looking for a particular product and it wasn't long before an assistant was showing me the display with an array of similar products but unfortunately what I was looking for was not there. The shop employee paused for a moment and told me where I could find it. Not in their shop, but at another one about ten minutes away. He told me exactly how to get there, where to park and even where else to go if on the off chance I missed it there. Although disappointed that I couldn't find what I was looking for I left there feeling chuffed that the assistant had gone beyond the call of duty and treated me like a fellow shopper rather than a customer whose only value was in making a purchase.

Right, back to my local – supermarket that is, where I’ve engaged in staring contests with their staff desperately trying to get someone to come forward and help me as I’m clearly struggling trying to find some product. Only then to receive an abrupt ‘hio hakuna’ as they walk away leaving me in abject desperation! I’m a creature of habit, I go for pretty much the same products and meet the same faces manning the same aisles every time. Not once have I been acknowledged as a repeat customer, no greeting warm or otherwise, even a nod of the head, as for a smile you'd have better chance finding rain in a desert. Now I’m sure a lot of this indifferent service boils down to the low wages and long hours. In huge supermarket chains like this, staff are rarely made to feel the importance of their role or offered real incentives to excel and ‘go the extra mile.’ This impacts loyalty as well as customer service in general.

Let me get this of my chest while am at it - but my pet peeve at the checkout line is when receiving change and I have to balance a pile of coins on top of another pile of notes. I wish they’d hand me the notes first and then give me the coins separately (ok, rant over). I think all supermarket chains should make sure their employees know and understand the importance of customer service and a positive attitude when dealing with shoppers. Secondly, training in the art of communication, body language and company image is a must.

What's the level of service at your supermarket?

No comments:

Post a Comment