Monday, August 16, 2010

Wot does dis txt say abt me

I have a confession to make - I’m firmly old school. I enjoy music from the seventies, movies from the eighties and the WWF before it became WWE. I also try as much as is humanly possible to write in complete sentences whether texting or emailing. It literally takes me five minutes to write an SMS as I'm incapable of using text language. Modern technology has been responsible for many changes in our lives but has it also led to the demise of the properly written word. Short messages like twitter have also done much to malign the written word. I received a text that other day that went like this. Tks 4 d msg I cnt CU 2mrw I hav 2go 2C my bro. Can you decipher that? And this was supposed to be an official response to my setting up a business meeting!

I won’t quibble with someone dashing off a quick text to a friend on a non-business related matter saying R U there instead of are you there – I am not that pedantic. But when communicating for business, what message are you sending by txting lik dis? What does it say about your professionalism and your personal brand in general? Let me get your feedback about using texting language in business communication

No comments:

Post a Comment