Sunday, October 31, 2010

Taking criticism onboard

As part of giving talks and presentations, I put myself out there to a large constituency, some of whom do not agree with what I say and are critical of my message. I focus on the importance of soft skills and professional image and some people have become very successful in their professional careers without subscribing to the tenets I recommend. The majority of people who attend my talks or training are happy to receive any information to help them improve in an ever competitive world. It may be difficult to deal with negative feedback and initially it hurts a bit, but dealing with people who don’t agree with you is going to be a fact of life. Arianna Huffington, the acclaimed author and columnist says she doesn't believe in developing a thick skin, because a thick skin keeps out the good as well as the bad. Rather, she believes in letting things "in and out quickly" - acknowledging criticism but not dwelling on it.

My attitude is to take onboard everything and find out if there is something I can learn from it and then move on. We are always learning and in my business, nothing is ever strictly black or white.

On another slightly more upbeat note, and to all the men(and women) out there, a series featuring well dressed men and their approach to the daily ritual of dressing has been filmed. Do you spend this much time and effort contemplating your sartorial choices every morning? Or is this an exercise in narcissism (after all how many of us have a choice of clothes from Savile Row to choose from) and doesn’t really matter. You know which side I’m voting on so enjoy the video below.

Patrick Grant: How I Get Dressed from Chris Floyd on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment